Oh and I was going to post a DIY clear raincoat/trench, but it's taking me slightly longer than anticipated. Anyways. Cute tricks you can use that I promised I'd tell you.
1) Shower curtain. It's clear. It's vinyl. Best part is, you can actually purchase it relatively cheaply (think, 2 yards, $3). The only downside is it's kind of flimsy, but there are some clear projects that would work better with flim than legit plastic (case in point, a raincoat).
2) Hair straightener. My sewing machine is super cheap, and I highly doubt it could sew plastic well. I think the only thing it can handle is cotton. Anyways. Instead of sewing the shower curtain together, you could actually meld the seams together by sandwiching it in between a hair straightener. Neat right?
Anyways onto the real post
- Clear Vinyl (I bought a yard from Joann Fabrics, surprising really)
- Scrap paper
- Velcro (clear)
- Optional: additional embellishments
Keep reading after the jump for the tutorial!
- With your shoe on, note how wide you want your straps.
- Draw and cut this out on scrap paper for your template (or draw this directly onto your vinyl).
- Using the template, cut out the vinyl straps.
- Cut out a strip of velcro, cut it in half so it's thin, and attach it to the sides of your shoe. Velcro is pretty sturdy, so you don't have to glue it down, but if you want extra support, go ahead.
- Take the clear velcro, cut out very small pieces, and attach one of this to one end of the clear strap. Test this out, trim if necessary (sorry for the sudden difference in photo quality, my legit camera died on me and I had to resort to my iPhone).
- Repeat step 5 on the other side of the strap. Seriously. That's it. Look at the gorgeousness of this.
- Optional: Bedazzle your clear strap! Come back on Tuesday to check out the alternatives!