Saturday, March 9, 2013

DIY Frenzy: Chain Earrings+Cuff

I went to the mall the other day, and naturally, stopped at Icing's to check out their goods. Needless to say, I just about loved every single one of their ear cuffs and I *do* plan to recreate them all!! And if you don't lovveee my ear cuff tutorials, super awesome amazing Tumblr blog True Blue Me & You has a ton of DIY links here, which you can use to make some of these, or at least a variation of them:

simple cute swirly
both very much doable 
so cute, it says the word love!!

this is the one I attempt to mimic in my DIY (keep reading after the jump)
reminds me of the super amazing DIY that A Matter of Style did here 
some basic ones
Keep reading after the jump for my tutorial!
Materials:

  • Pre-bought ear cuff+ earring stud (or you can buy these separately...or even make them! I got mine on the 10 for $10 sale at Claire's...so basically I paid like a dollar for this!)
  • Leftover jewelry chains; a true DIYer would have tonss of these
  • Jewelry pliers
  • Rhinestone trim
  • Jump rings
  • Glue
Tutorial:
1) Use your jewelry pliers to disassemble the earring by pulling apart the little jump rings (the small circles that connects the chains).

2) Add on extra chains to the now open jump rings.

3) Slide the jump rings with the extra chains back into their original position and close the jump ring using jewelry pliers.

4) Cut a piece of rhinestone trim.

5) Add a small dab of glue on the end.

6) Lay a jump ring on top of the glue.

7) Attach these rhinestones onto the little jump rings that are connected to the earring/cuff. You can mess around with how tangled the chains are, how long they fall and drape, it's up to you!

8) The finale: 

Pretty close to the original, don't you think? And yes, I resorted to my iPhone camera which is why the pictures are a little sketchy. I'll update them later once I find my camera's battery charger (wow I'm a mess). 

See you tomorrow for the final installment of DIY Frenzy! 

3 comments:

  1. Really like the idea of altering something you bought so cheaply - I mean sometimes it is better to buy and customize the rest. Posted 2 finished photos and a link back to you on truebluemeandyou.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really you have great range of Ear cuff earrings. The earring are so stylish and trendy.

    ReplyDelete