Sunday, January 20, 2013

"DIY" Sneak Peak Fail

Well. I guess the sneak peak idea was sort of a bust (this one, here). Mainly because I have a tendency to change my mind five times before I settle on an idea. So that leaves a few administrative details to cover. First and foremost, I'm still going to have sneak peaks, or more likely work-in-process, along with my inspirations before I show you what I'm making. I'm just going to be more vague, instead of saying "oh I'm making a necklace...JK I'm actually making a bracelet oops." Secondly, I hope I can get tutorials done on Sundays. Timing is difficult, because I first have to give my idea a trial run, so usually that means waiting around for something to dry or set. After that I actually have to make it, and photograph it, and some more waiting around. And in case something doesn't work out, I have to sit around and brainstorm how to salvage a project. Case in point. I started with some trial rose beads to see how they hold up. Then I did a trial color to see how it'll show it. Finally, I started working on the real thing and by then I was sick of making roses. Soooo I distracted myself until I got this idea.

This isn't so much an original diy, more like a "hey, imma put these ideas together to create something cool ishh" so the style of this post will be a little bit different

Because this is a DIY "fail" I will be posting a legitimate DIY soon. Because my other projects have been working out so far...

"Tutorial"

I am going to "introduce" 3 ideas that came into play today: Fimo Air Light clay, awesome jewelry beading tutorial resource, and using hair elastics for quick and easy bracelets.

Instead of buying charms and whatnot, why not make them yourself?? I wanted flat-back rose beads, but unfortunately, you can't have both. You can either buy flat-back roses or rose beads. So, I turned to clay. Now I've seen a TON of tutorials using polymer clay, and some come with warnings such as "Do not bake in an oven that you plan to use for food!!" True Blue Me & You uses one of those mini oven things (like the ones you got as a kid) for projects like that. However, browsing the store, I found a great alternative: Fimo Air Light

link here
Not only is it incredibly lightweight, but it's also air drying. That's right, no baking whatsoever needed. Just sculpt, put it aside overnight, and in the morning, it's done! No baking hassle needed. 

So the first thing I did was sculpt some roses. I'm not going to waste any time explaining the specifics, it's pretty self-explanatory, and I essentially googled how to sculpt roses to figure it out myself. There's a bunch of tutorials online, I especially like Transient Expressions here The Polymer Clayspot's here Anna Shawkey's youtube video here.


Before setting them out to dry, stick eye pins through the middle of the rose. Not only does this keep the rose petals intact, you now have a rose bead!! And because of the way they're constructed, they're flat-back rose beads!! 

I was originally going to duplicate a rose necklace, but after 6 roses, I got exhausted. So I stopped (hey, it was my first time sculpting, I was getting increasingly frustrated with some fail attempts so..)

When the roses are dry, carefully remove the eye pins, and paint the roses with whatever color you like. I used Pedal to the Metal by Maybelline, 2 coats. Be sure to paint on top of something else to not ruin your workspace. 


 Replace the eye pins, and connect the beads together. I taught myself how to do (beaded) jewelry through the Michael's website, they have tutorials/videos for everything, from crimping to cool jewelry DIY tutorials!! HERE And for this particular tutorial, this is pretty much all you need to know. Just use the round-nose pliers to create a circular loop on one end of the rose bead and connect it to another.


The last idea that I decided to use was a hair-elastic tie. I'm too lazy at this point to come up with shamncy closures and whatnot, so I took the easy route. Using your jewelry pliers, open up the ends of your rose chain, and close them around the elastic.


VoilĂ ! You're done! Wear your new bracelet with pride, and remember, you can switch up colors of your elastic, and the types of beads that you want to connect to your "bracelet."



Perfect for stacking if you're not fond of a little black elastic band. Just cover it up with other bracelets!! I suggest delicate strands of pearls to be paired with these roses, very in vogue with the roses+pearls trend.

7 comments:

  1. This bracelet is so pretty! For baking fimo I use an old toaster oven - but some seal their projects with aluminum foil to prevent the fumes. I would love to try out this clay but have this enormous stash of regular fimo I should use up. One question: I have never used Fimo Air Light - do the roses feel delicate at all or pretty substantial?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. on a scale of one to ten, ten being super durable and one being you touch it and it breaks, i would say 6-7. its material compositions makes it like insanely light, but it comes with the expense that it is a bit more delicate. i like using fimo clay because if you glue the resulting piece onto something, it is less likely to fall off as opposed to something heavier. i think if you tried hard enough you could damage the clay structure, but so far it's rather durable considering. i've noticed that when i was bending the eye pins to connect to each other, the wire could dig into the side of the rose a little bit, but not so much that the whole thing would collapse in my hand. i hope that's an adequate response, it's really difficult to imagine as to what you consider to be substantial.

      Delete
  2. Love this bracelet and especially the color. I agree with Jules about the toaster oven. When we replaced our toaster oven I just took the old one to use with polymer clay. I would also like to know how durable this clay is with all those edges on the roses. I'd like to post this on truebluemeandyou with a link back to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just read your answer to Jules - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha no problem!! i just read yours and retrieved the bracelet to hand test the edges of the petals. there's not a problem at all!! im assuming it wont be *as* sturdy as polymer clay, but im really impressed with how it's holding up. just don't go taking a hammer to try smashing it, and it should be fine ;D

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I want to post the info so my readers (and I) know what we're getting into. A hammer? LOL!

      Delete
    3. yup. a hammer because i cant think of anything that could damage it except force from a rather dense large object. but at that point most things would get damaged. i just loveee the feel of the bracelet, it's so light but when i try to tinker with the roses to test the durability, im pleasantly surprised to see how well they're holding up

      Delete